Thursday, August 6, 2009

What does Lamia mean?

What does Lamia mean?
That’s the question I was asked by the team I met today. Well that's the first name of my grandmother I answered. But the team was not satisfied: "it must have a meaning".
I knew there was a town in Greece named Lamia but that was about it. Team (i.e. the MEA - Middle East Africa team) was sure it must have a meaning in Arabic. So we googled it. Man that was a bad idea.
Here is what we found:
- in Latin it means witch or vampire (nice isn’t it)
- in Swahili it means glitter (that’s probably where my tier 1 plus side comes from)
- it translates in Arabic into “dark lips”
- in the Greek mythology it’s An evil spirit who abducts and murders children (now I’m very happy to know that)
After finding out my name is the name of a monster, I stopped searching further. Me sad about that finding, the team laughing about it. For sure they will remember me. I just wish it was not for that reason...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

have a look to
http://lamiacucina.wordpress.com/

greetings Elvira

Colorful Zebra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Colorful Zebra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Colorful Zebra said...

Lamia means a born vampire that can grow. Like James Rasmussen from Night World Secret Vampire.