Sunday, August 23, 2009

Pineapple Fried Rice

When I was in Beijing one of my favourite restaurants was the Thai Purple Haze and one of my favourite dishes was the pineapple fried rice. Back in Belgium I long for some pineapple fried rice but don't think the Thai restaurants here will have it. Still I haven't checked them all yet.
Motivated and in possession of a Wok (thanks Joy & Yann) and a book (thanks mum) with a recipe for pineapple fried rice, tonight I decided to give it a shot. I also have a guinea pig on hand willing to test it with me. Hopefully he will not regret his decision.
First challenge was to find all the ingredients. I have most of them, change some for similar (i.e. dried or frozen instead of fresh) and potentially will have to do without some (at least this time until I go to the Chinese supermarket).
Of course I didn't read the details of the recipe before today so did not realize you are supposed to make the rice the day before or worse case scenario 2 hours before. Let's hope 1 hour before will be ok.
After chopping all the ingredients I proceeded with the mixing and after 10min of stirring it was ready. Smelling and looking quite promising I would say.

Verdict: very good :)
Suggestion of improvement for next time: more pepper and cut the pineapple in even smaller pieces. Obviously in a wok what takes the longest is the chopping and cutting before hand.

2 comments:

Patzi said...

I made this the other day, well surely not the same recipe, but pretty similar I think, for the first time. The kids loved it :-)
Tonight it will be something similar as well, I have tons of leftover rice and lots of veggies that are looking kind of sad, I guess I just dump that stuff together and pour a can of shredded pineapples over it :-)

Patzi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.