Friday, November 7, 2008

Manila to Beijing - Getting back

Today was my last day in Manila. I really hope I'll get the chance to come back. This research was extremely interesting, eye opening and the people here are simply so nice. At 1pm I was dropped at the airport by Mrs Glo the manager of our laundry facility in Manila. I entered an airport where it seemed a bomb at just went on. People running everywhere, luggage everywhere, no clear signs of what is where... After 15min of back and forth I managed to find the China Southern counter. I was stopped by 3 security agent explaining me I couldn't take my carry on with me in the cabin. After arguing for a few minutes, I said the magic words "I'm travelling Business". All of a sudden I was a privileged passenger, they were friendly, caring... So nice for those who travel Economy. While checking in, I had the unpleasant surprise to discover I couldn't check in my luggage all the way to Beijing, but had to claim them in Guangzhou. The 2nd surprise was that Manila is the only airport where you have to pay yourself the airport tax. It is not included in the ticket: 750 pesos cash :( I went through the security check where strangely my choose where a problem but not the bottle of water I had with me. The agent refused even to take it. Somehow I found the lounge and sat there for 1 hour, working on my report. No wireless, only finger food (somehow I was hoping to get a mango one more time), good drinks at least. We took off on time and made it earlier to Guangzhou. Once we landed there, I went through the customs and was happy that my work permit was ok for them, I claimed my luggage, I checked in one more time and got ready for the transfer from Terminal A to B. To get from the check in counter to the gate it took me 30min, 30min of walk. Unfortunately the shuttle between the terminals was out of order (just 2km) and gate B117 is the one at the far end of the B terminal. I waited there for 3 hours and flew back to Beijing without further delay. It was a long and exhausting travel. On top the only movie China Southern played was the latest Indiana Jones (4 flights, 4 times the same one). Luckily I had some DVDs with me.

It's midnight I'm back in Somerset, ready for a good night of sleep.

No comments: