Monday, November 3, 2008

Facing reality

As fancy and luxurious the hotel is, as poor the people we visited are. We left behind us the busy center of Manila to go to the suburbs. In 30min, you completely change world and get back to reality. People are poor, fighting everyday to survive, leaving in conditions I cannot describe. During one of the interview I had a rat passing between my feet right next to me was playing a baby girl, both my arms and feet are covered by some unidentified insects bites to which I am allergic to looking at how swollen they are now. When you enter the "houses" you barely know where to seat as 1) it's extremely small and 2) everything is dirty. After 1 day listening to housewives telling me how they struggle and manage everyday, my vision of the world is starting to change. Let's see how the rest of the week goes.

1 comment:

Leo said...

What an intense entry!
I read it right after reading about your hotel. The difference is so extreme, that it left me speechless for a minute.