Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Getting to Lucknow

The destination of my trip was Lucknow in India. The itinerary was simple: Beijing-Shanghai-Delhi-Lucknow. After a 7-hour flight I arrived in Delhi, exhausted as I couldn’t sleep in the plane. Reason for that? The gentleman sitting behind me was storing, and not a little, really bad, to the point that no one could really sleep. We landed on time, I successfully passed the customs and went to get my luggage. 1 hour and 15min later, I finally got my suitcase and was ready to transfer from the international terminal to the domestic terminal. Now, I was prepared for the worse as everyone who had travelled via Delhi told me that it was a mess, that luggage never made it, that flight were delayed, etc. Given I had actually got my luggage, even if it took long, I was full of hope; after all it was only 3:30am, and I still had 3 hours before the flight.. Right after you exit the arrival section, you can find a small counter of the airlines you need to take. I went there and asked where I should go (and how). A very nice Kingfisher employee, printed my ticket, and told me to take the free shuttle to the domestic terminal 1B. I walked into the “lounge”, told the responsible my flight number and waited. Every 20min or so, there is a shuttle between the terminals. The shuttle is a bus that takes back roads to go from one terminal to the other one. What I mean by back roads is that we go through a gate and enter the area where usually only aircrafts go. Somehow we navigated between the planes and 20min later made it to the terminal. The advantage of such an itinerary is that you get to see the airport from “backstage”. I checked in quite easily, passed security and seated waiting for my flight. We left on time, landed on time. What happened in between, I don’t know, I slept the whole way, just woke up 5min to see some mountains far away.

No comments: