Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Good question

Today Amalia asked me the following question "are we doing the right thing? is it right for us to make money thanks to these people" It was at the end of the day, after another series of in-home visits in places I never thought one day I would be visiting, if I can say so. Indeed we're making money by selling detergent to these people who can barely afford a roof on top of their head or food every meal, most don't have running water or electricity... I told Amalia that she should not think at it this way but rather that thanks to us for a few hours in the day these ladies are having an enjoyable experience. I don't wake up every morning thinking "let's make money today", but thinking "how can I delight more my consumers, how can I find a way to make their laundry easier, a better experience, more enjoyable". It may sound like I've been brainwashed to some of my colleagues, but if you don't truly believe that you can make a difference in improving their lives, you probably should change job :)
Even if for us spending 1-3 hours every day washing by hand laundry seems not the kind of activity we would spend our time on, for these ladies it's a way of taking care of their family. Nothing makes them more proud that when their children are going to school in a nice clean uniform, when their husband is happy because at the end of the day his shirt doesn't smell sweat... When you talk to them doing the laundry is not a chore but a way to take care of their family. As poor as they may be none of the ladies we've met so far complained about her situation. They are happy with their lives (that's a big difference with Europe where people complain about everything saying that their life used to be better before or should be better). You should see the smile on their face when they talk about laundry (you almost forget where you seat).

No comments: