Saturday, December 26, 2009

Plane or Train? That's the question

For once that I travel via the Brest airport, there are strike. Fair enough they have a good reason, i.e. the new airport is clearly too big for the capacity needed and cutting salary to reduce running cost is not the smartest idea.
BUT... how do I get to Paris to catch my flight to Beirut?
For several days, we've been monitoring all the flights from Brest waiting to find out what my fate would be.
Friday morning, yes on xmas day itself, my flight is cancelled. My Dad and I went to the airport to find out alternative. That was simple, only 1 option. The flight from Quimper at 6:35 am on Saturday morning :( well, if that's all there is... let's book it. Flight it will be.
Driving back home we were already checking for a trip with the train on Saturday. I had already given hope on leaving on Sunday morning and knew I had to book a hotel by the airport in Paris. Train it will be.
In the process of booking the train, the Air France man called and said he found another flight from Quimper at 5:30pm. Back to the airport to book the later and flight it will be.
Around 5pm came an sms. "Your flight is cancelled". This time I booked the train ticket, fully flexible because you never know. Train it will be.
This morning, the Air France contact called again to tell us the flight was cancelled. Big news! Now he had an alternative offer: Quimper-Nice-Paris. Leaving at 3:30pm. No matter what it will take at least 6 hours to get to Paris and the 2 flights had the advantage to let me have lunch at home. Just 3 extra hours home but 3 extra hours still. I cancelled the train and flight it will be.
2 learnings from this story:
- you can book and cancelled your train ticket online, all the way through :)
- bringing xmas biscuits to Air France staff helps getting a special treatment and secure you a slot
PS: I just hope there will be no more change for today... Fingers crossed

1 comment:

Patzi said...

Wow, that's really environmental sane...