Sunday, February 1, 2009

Last day in Bangkok

Today I started the day by swimming, just enough to give me good conscience as beside walking and swimming a bit I haven’t exercise during my stay. Being energized afterwards I checked out and started my last round of visits. I took the skyline to the closest station from Wat Benjamabophit. This temple is known as the marble temple and is the last major temple built in central Bangkok. What's really unique about this temple is the stained-glass windows.
I then walked to another temple, Wat Suthat, which is considered as one of Thailand's six principal temples. And guess what? Another big Buddha inside :) I think I have seen enough Buddhas for some time now.

The video
While I was resting in the courtyard of the temple some man approach me. Usually they are guides and try to sell their service. As for the other ones I said no even before he could speak. Then he said “no guide” and started to talk to me in Thai (of course) and make some gestures with his hand as I didn’t understand what he was saying. After a few explicit ones I understood he wanted to sleep with me! Chocked as I was (if only he would have been handsome) I said no and asked him to leave. He stayed there, next to me on the bench. Desperate I stood up and left. I ended up running in the temple and hide in there hopping he would not wait for me outside. Fortunately for me when I made my way out 10min later he was already trying another girl (poor one). I would have never believed they would do that in a temple area, after all it’s a sacred place, in principle, isn’t?

I walked back to the Siam square for dinner. Today I walked 8 km or so. Given the temperature (30C at least) I’m quite proud of myself. As I said that’s my favorite way to discover a city.
I am now sitting at the airport preparing my blog and all the pictures / videos that I will upload tomorrow. I feel a bit sad that my vacation is over and don’t really look forward to spending the night in the plane before a full week of work. That’s going to be a hell of a Monday morning, I feel it (my flight is at 1:20 am, arriving at 6:50am in Beijing). But all in all I’m glad I seized this opportunity to come to Bangkok. There are still a lot of things and places to visit in Bangkok and Thailand and for sure I will come back, for a longer stay this time. And as I said, nothing better than a few days of summer in the middle of winter. I feel re-energized and ready to conquer the world! It’s amazing the power of the sun on your moral.

No comments: