Saturday, February 21, 2009

Villeroy & Boch outlet shop

So Wolfram wanted to buy new dishes to replace the Ikea ones he had for years
(and I was fully supporting that idea). He found out that there was a Villeroy & Boch outlet shop in Mettlach, in Germany and a factory shop in Luxembourg. T
herefore on Saturday we had planned to go there.
Anyone who knows me knows that plates and dishes are to be taken seriously. It's a family heritage. We all like nice plates and have a tendency to buy a lot of them. After all different occasions or meals deserve different plates. I grew up with the "old Amsterdam" collection of Villeroy & Boch so naturally when I started to buy dishes I considered V&B and found one collection I like: Twist Alea. During my PhD, I bought my first pieces (it was called the starting set) and ever since I have been building up my service, plate by plate, bowl by bowl, cup by cup (because those things are quite expensive in the end). Of course every opportunity to add some more pieces on sale is welcome.
So Saturday morning we hit the road. Well, 1st we checked the pressure of the tires of my car given it had been standing still for 2 months. And that turned out to be a good idea. After 2.5 hour drive we arrived in Mettlach which I believe is only known because of the ceramic factory (let's face it, you need a good reason to get there). In this town, there are 3 V&B outlet shops: the main one, the Christmas on and the Vivo one (modern and younger style). The main one turned out to be fantastic. All the collections were there including mine! Half an hour later I was getting out of the store with 4 round plates, 6 square plates, 18 wine glasses (6 for white wine, 6 for Bordeaux and 6 for Bourgogne). You may ask why so many glasses. The answer is simple: they break, especially when you wash them, so it's good to have spare ones. I believe I am now fully equipped. All I need to do is come back live in Belgium and invite friend and family over :)
My case being sorted out, we focused on Wolfram's. That was a bigger challenge because he had to 1st choose a collection and he wanted white porcelaine. He ended up taking plates from Dune Lines and bowls from Flow. It's a very nice mix and match and I think we can be proud of the choice.
After spending some hundreds of euros in dishes, we had a quick lunch at the coffee place in the outlet where I had the heavier sandwich ever. It was just bread with salad, some sauce and a Schnitzel. I never finished it... Stomach and trunk full we headed towards Luxembourg.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

very nice dishes