Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Getting to work

2 options to get to work: taxi or subway
Taxi is easy to get from Somerset as there is always one waiting there. Now when there is no traffic it takes 20min to get to work. When there is traffic it usually takes 40-60 min or more. When it rains, like it Belgium, Chinese can't drive anymore and it's worse. From P&G, it's more complicated as not all drivers know where Somerset is so very often you have to try 3-5 taxis before you can find one.
So after waiting 30min under the rain to find a taxi and 1 hour drive on Tuesday night, the next morning I decided to go for the subway. I looked on the map and started off. The 2min walk until the Liangmaqiao station are actually a bit more than 5 but still not far away. I was ready for a bit of a challenge into finding my way in the subway in Chinese but was happy to discover that everything was also written in English, at least the names of stations. I believe I owe a big thank you to the Olympics for getting Beijing in such a good state and easy going for foreigners. 45 min later I arrived at Wudaokou station. In total it takes 1 hour to get to work :) I think, as long as the weather is nice, I will take the subway. Tomorrow I'll take a book with me...

No comments: