Sunday, July 4, 2010

Who said countryside is peaceful?

I grew up with a wrong belief. I thought countryside was a peaceful and quiet place. Last night I was proven (and confirmed) wrong.
First because it's so hot (yes finally summer hit Belgium) we keep all windows open to try to get some air. There is only 1 street around but people drive on it like it was the highway: full speed which means full noise. The "quiet" window is between 1-2am and 4-5am. Before and after, cars are racing.
Second: bugs. Last night I've been literally attacked by mosquitoes. It was the first time and I hadn't placed the plug. Usually I get 1 mosquito 1 night as a pre-warning and  I get ready. This time the full armada showed up in one go. Obviously they enjoyed "eating" me.
Third: the roosters around. They start singing at 4am or so, more or less with sunrise. I know I'm French and should like this but I don't. Not only do they wake me up but also the cats who start running around. After all it's "wake up call".
Last night I really missed the calm and quiet from the city. Will need a nap to compensate.

No comments: