Friday, January 30, 2009

Bangkok 2nd day

Wat Arun:
After a long and lazy breakfast on the riverside I took the boat (yeah it’s becoming a habit) to go to Wat Arun, the temple of dawn. This temple is the tallest religious structure of Thailand (which explains probably why the steps were so steep. It was more climbing a wall than stairs). What fantastic about this temple, beside its height which gives you a great view on Bangkok), is that it is covered with pieces of broken ceramic. The whole decoration is made of pieces of dishes or other vases that were leftover from Chinese merchant ships. Next time I break a plate, I might think twice before throwing the pieces away :)

The video.
Wat Pho massage school:
After the climb at Wat Arun (actually going up was easier than going down, especially when you wear flip-flops or sandals like everyone else in Thailand… had I known I would have wear better shoes), I decided to find the Wat Pho Thai Traditional massage school, which offers according to all the guides cheap hour-long Thai massage and lessons as well if you want to learn how to do a massage. The later requires a longer stay in Bangkok, maybe next time; therefore I went for the 1 hour massage. Unlike the hotel spa, you don’t have your private room. It’s a big hall with maybe 20 beds where you lay down and a student gives you a massage. It is indeed cheap, around 9 euros for 1 hour and really pleasant. During 1 hour a masseur or masseuse applies pressure on different points of your body to release the tension. They also stretch you and every now and then you can hear some of your joints crack. It was so nice I’m considering going again tomorrow (and Sunday).

Fully relaxed after the massage I picked up my suitcase from the Hilton and moved to the Plaza Athenee Royal Meridien, located in another part of the city. I left the riverside for the shopping area. The room was more modern and had a view at the Hilton but the pool here is way nicer. Of course I spent my afternoon there swimming and sun bathing (and napping, after the massage I was ready for a sleep :)).

Later in the day I decided to explore Rattanakosin the shopping district. I walked the skywalk which takes you from one shopping mall to the other without having to get back down on the street. I like walking in cities I don’t know. For me it’s one of the best ways to discover it, to get a feel of the place, to see what inhabitants look like, etc. So I enjoyed my walk despite the heat (I have to say that there were only 3 subway stations to cover, but by 30C it seems longer).
Based on the places I’ve been so far in Asia, Hong-Kong, Singapore and now Bangkok are shopping paradise. Shopping is like a national sport for Thai people. I’m still wondering every now and then, how they can afford all of that. They have the latest modern shopping center where you can buy all the latest western fashion and brands, including luxury brands. Those shopping centers are always crowded. How can they afford it? The whole world is going through an economical crisis but it doesn’t seem like it reached Bangkok (or Asia). I guess that’s something I’ll have to investigate further.
The video
Again it is quite shocking to see some people leaving in luxurious apartments and spending a fortune in luxury products, while others sleep on the street…

Suan Lum Night Bazaar
It’s an open-air market with thousands of stands selling souvenirs, handicrafts, clothing, jewellery, antiques, etc. It’s one of the must see of Bangkok therefore buses full of tourists sow up. There were some very nice pieces of handicrafts and house clothing. I didn’t buy anything as tomorrow I’m going to Chatuchak week-end market, which is supposed to be bigger and better. Now I have an idea of what I can get and the prices. I’m ready to bargain!

No comments: