Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Work-Life Balance?


Last Friday during our yearly event there was a whole section on the meeting dedicated to work-life balance: what works, what does not work, tips to improve it, etc. We even had some Chinese guru who came over and told us we need to do more artistic activities and sport to balance our work activities. Thus the singing, dancing, painting, tai-chi and other yoga demonstration. Everyone was quite enthusiastic about it. Who wouldn't if your employer is willing to pay or help organize some yoga / belly dancing / ping-pong / latin dancing / etc. classes.
This Thursday we have a review with our Directory and Vice-President. On top of our normal workload we have to prepare tons of presentations and 1-pagers. Conclusion all of us are working crazy hours. Yesterday, a colleague ended up saying a bit before 8pm: "so much for our work-life balance. We don't have a life anymore!" I tried to convince her it's exceptional circumstances, until I was asked to provide some ideas on a specific topic by the next morning. I guess I was supposed to get during my sleep... So indeed, so much for my work-life balance :)

No comments: