Sunday, April 29, 2012

Little India & Arab Street

Like every big city in this world, there are neighbourhoods like Chinatown or Little India in Singapore.
Today we decided to practise our brand new MRT expertise to reach Little India, and take a little trip to India.
And feeling like in India it felt: it was noisy, it was crowded, it was messy. Such a contrast with the Singapore we've seen so far. It was somehow re-assuring to see a bit of chaos as sometimes it can feel surreal that a city has managed to have everything under control. But the fact that in Singapore (almost every where) everything is nice and tidy, is clearly one of the reasons it's so appealing.
We walked the streets of Little India but apart from the low rise colored houses, nothing special caught my attention.


Something tells me I need to come back with someone who knows the shops and restaurants and get a guided tour. I'm sure there must be excellent place for Indian food, the only question is where.

Once done with Little India, we walked to Arab Street, known for its Middle East influence. The only thing worth mentioning is that this is the street to buy carpets, as pretty much every other shop is selling some. In case it ever gets cold in Singapore.

I then suggested to Wolfram to walk back to the hotel. Merely 4km. As much as I enjoyed walking through the city and get to discover more of it, it was painful with the heat. Next time I come up with such an idea I should plan for earlier or later in the day.

I'm very proud of Wolfram who painfully powered thru despite nearly losing all the water in his body. Luckily this was easily fixed by a jump in the swimming pool once back at the hotel.

No comments: