Saturday, April 7, 2012

The civil marriage

Dressed like kings and queens,  we drove to the town hall of my home town. To be more accurate, we gathered everybody, dispatched people in three cars and finally left the house.
While most of us walked straight to the door, someone took a bit of time to think. After all we were early.
Once everybody was ready, we entered the room via the front door. The officer of social affairs who would do the ceremony welcomed us. The 11 that we were didn't have to fight for a chair, given there were enough chairs for 50 people. The officer did look a bit surprised when I told her that everybody was there. But again, this is "just" the civil marriage.
As we were early, we had to wait 4pm, just in case someone else would show up (again its a public ceremony and anyone can pop in). At 4pm sharp the officer started, with us and the two witnesses in front of her.
A few weeks back my dad had wrote to the mayor explaining his daughter was getting married in his town hall with a German man. He asked whether it would be possible for him to say a few words in German. Unfortunately the mayor was on vacation today but promised be would find someone who could do so.
Not only did he find someone who could speak a bit of German, but the officer today had translated the whole ceremony in German, except for the text of law. From what I heard I think she did a pretty good job despite the complexity of the language. This came as a very good surprise. I was hoping for a few words and we had a full bilingual ceremony. I have to say I feel very proud of my home town. Clearly this made it easier for the German part of the crowd to follow, including my husband to be.

The more the officer was reading the texts, the more emotions were overwhelming me and all I could think of was "don't cry" combined with "why didn't I bring tissues with me!".
In a way I'm glad there was the German translation as the German parts were small breaks during which I could control my emotions, or at least try.
Eventually we got to the part when we both said "Oui" (yes).
We signed all the documents, received copies of our marriage certificate and our family booklet (with place for up to 10 kids!). Our witnesses signed as well.
Signatures occurred under flashing cameras, like if we were movie stars.

We also received gifts from the town: a plate from Henriot (well-known china maker from Brittany) with our names at the back. Totally unexpected and really nice gift, at least to the Brittany girl.
We also got a pair of pens, funny enough one is designed to fit in the shirt pocket of the husband and the other one in the purse of the wife. Talking about cliches.

That's it, a bit more than 15min ceremony.

We are officially married.

PS: Yann kindly recorded the ceremony with my camera. Video will be shared with those close to our hearts who couldn't be there today as soon as it is edited. Ask my husband :)

No comments: