Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Bamboo did the ultimate sacrifice

Bamboo, for those who don't know, is my car.
My Nissan Micra which I bought in Italy with my first salaries, and patiently paid for 5 long years.
My very first car which cost me a fortune to insure first in Italy then in Belgium.
It's with Bamboo that I spent the longest hours behind a truck on the way to Perugia in the Italian mountains.
Each move or trip to Ikea Bamboo demonstrated her flexibility and incredible capacity. Many Billy's fit in this car.
From Italy to Belgium Bamboo took a truck and nicely rested while being driven to the cold wet North Europe.
I hated this car when all the electrical problems happened and I had to stand on the road blocking traffic at rush hours getting insulted. Back then I was ready to get rid of it.
While I was in China, Bamboo faithfully waited in the garage in Belgium, for me to come back.
Every year we would drive back home, to Brittany, 9 long hours during which I was very proud that I had picked the strongest engine (we used to speed big time in Italy but in France with all the radars we slowed down a bit).
This year however she never made it across the border. I lost control on ice and we completed a 360 before hitting the highway fence. Today the expert passed by the garage and declared Bamboo a total loss.
Damages are in the range of 8000 euros, rear axe is bended, my car is not worth so much money anymore. Therefore he made the call. This is it.
I've been asked to provide all original documents, second key, sign papers, get all my belongings and basically acknowledge the fact that Bamboo is not coming home.
I was prepared for lengthy repair but not for a death sentence.
Tomorrow I will have to start the negotiation with the insurance on how much money they will give me.
Next week I will have to start about a new car.
But now I just feel sad my Bamboo is abandoned and will end up in spare parts somewhere. And I know it's just a car but it was my very first car and there are lots of memories attached to it.

1 comment:

Patzi said...

RIP Bamboo