Monday, May 4, 2009

Beijing Zoo



I've been wanting to go to the zoo for a while now. Bottom line is that I wanted to see the pandas. How could you live in China and not see a panda, at least once?
First attempt, back in November, failed as I had some fighting to do with the Indian consulate to get my visa.
Second attempt, in April, failed as well as the MRI took way longer than expected.
Third attempt, today, was meant to be a success and it was. Before flying to Manila tonight, Wolfram and I estimated we could spend 3 hours in the zoo, just to check out the pandas. After all according to the travel guide the zoo is nice to see, not more.
Well we made a mistake, the zoo is huge and really great. We did focus on the pandas and tigers / lions, but wished we had more time to see the rest. It's clearly a full day visit, especially if you want to do the aquarium as well. Even though I've seen the pandas I now want to go back and see the rest.
Second mistake (tip for those who will go to the zoo), at the Panda house, don't get stuck inside where 3 millions of people are watching 1 poor panda bear behind a window. Most of the pandas are outside and you get to see them much better (and of course make better pictures).

See here more pictures of the pandas.
And of the lemurs.
And of course the some of the tigers and lions.

No comments: