Sunday, October 21, 2012

Marche Restaurants

Since we've been in Singapore we've been buying bread every now and then at Marche. The bread they sell is expensive but really good, almost as good as if back home. One day we realized seeing people queuing that there was a restaurant under the bakery.
Tonight we tried it.
We had a good laugh when we saw the decoration. Picture a "typical" Swiss chalet revisited by Disneyland and you have it. I have to say it does make an impression.
Marche Restaurants is one of those places where they give you a card when you arrive and you can navigate between different islands offering all kind of food: pizza, pasta, rosti, salads, crepes, grill, seafood, etc.
After a quick look around, Wolfram went for sausage and I dared the veal schnitzel, for which I had to wait 10min.
The concept of the place is nice, the food is good BUT it's really overpriced. The schnitzel was 18.5S$ and it came all alone. I had the meat on a plate and that's it. No vegetable, no potato, nothing at all, not even lemon which would make sense on a schnitzel. Pretty bare if you ask me. Everything you eat costs money and everything counts. Baked potato with the sausage, 3S$ extra...
Once done with our main course we left the table for desert. It took forever to get my crepe and Wolfram's waffle and by the time we got back to our table we found someone else there. It seems that when we left they considered we were gone for good. This is not exactly smart given the whole concept of the place is that you get your food yourself. Inevitably you will leave the table to get something more.
Which is why there is a sign on the table that says "reserved".
Wolfram got someone from the staff to sort the mess out.
Once I was done with my crepe I realized that my glass was gone. When they cleared the table for the next people they also cleared my drink. Grrrr.
Wolfram once again took things in control and went to complain. A few minutes later he was back with another glass of diet coke. You could argue why such a fuss for a bit of coke? because it was expensive coke and at that price you drink every drop of it.

We tried, I seriously doubt we will go back. But at least we tried.

No comments: