Monday, September 3, 2012

I feel like a new hire

Today was my first day at work.
It started by successfully getting there by bus. We found out that there is a direct bus from the serviced apartment. In 40min or so we reached the reception. Not bad for a first day and without optimization of the trip yet.
First half of the day was dedicated to an onboarding organized by HR to get us clear on the policies and benefits of this country. This session was extremely useful especially as we could ask all the questions we wanted (and many questions we had), but somehow it made me feel like a new hire. You know, this peculiar feeling of excitement to start a new job mixed with practicalities (finding the water fountain, the toilets, the printer, etc.)
The afternoon was more tailored to my needs as I picked up my new laptop, new phone and met the people of my group. That's where the challenge began as I was introduced to 20 different people, each with a name I could not always understand and I'm afraid that I have forgotten already. I've always been bad with names, even more when I don't see them in writing.
After completing all the requested paperwork, at least I hope, we left the office for a well deserved dinner.

Like every first day, I'm exhausted. I think I'll go to bed early today.


No comments: