Sunday, September 9, 2012

Food Republic

On the top floor of the mall nearby which we live (313 @ Somerset), one can find Food Republic. Quid?
It's a premium or fancier version of the traditional hawker centers that are famous in Singapore. On top of being one of the largest with more than 20 food stalls, it's also very clean and organized. In a nutshell, a good way to introduce the concept of hawker center to a foreigner without having him or her stressing about hygiene.
The other advantage of such a place is that there is a very broad range of food available and each one can find what he feels like.
Today I settle on some noodles stall and tried the Prawn fried noodles.
When I saw my plate I wasn't so sure. It DID look better on the picture (which is probably why there is a disclaimer below it).
Luckily it tasted much better than it looked. I was positively surprised and relieved.
I also learned that I could have done with a small portion (the above is a medium one which I couldn't finish) and save some money. Small portion was S$4.8 while medium was S$6.80. Anyhow food in hawker centers is very cheap so nothing to complain about.

I also discovered later in the afternoon that their nutritional power must be low. I was hungry fours hours later, really hungry.

No comments: