Friday, November 26, 2010

Do you want some pudding?

Towards the end of an excellent dinner at SIX, a well known restaurant in Newcastle, which happened to be located on the sixth and top floor of one of the buildings in Gateshead giving you an amazing view on the river Tyne and the bridges of Newcastle, the waiter asked us whether we wanted some pudding. Surprised I asked if we could get the desert menu hopping to find something else on it than pudding.
I made the whole table laugh because, in the UK, pudding refers to desert in general. For me pudding was a typical English cake, like the traditional Christmas pudding.
After clarification of the meaning of pudding, my colleagues went for Sticky Toffee Pudding and I, safely, for a brownie. I may not have expended my desert menu that night but at least I expended my vocabulary :)

No comments: