Monday, May 10, 2010

The day when I nearly got super powers

Some people go to Thailand for cheap(er) surgery or other health treatment, I simply go back home. Today, trying to understand what's causing my back pain, I was scheduled for a scintigraphy in Nuclear medicine. Just by the name they manage to scare people off.
The principle is simple: they inject in you a dose of a radioisotope and make a reading afterwards. This way they can see your complete skeleton and bone structure.
At 9am I had the injection and the first reading. Pretty simple and quick. I came back at noon for the full scale measurement, i.e. 45 min lying down in the machine. Less fun than the first round and also less comfortable. This said, there is now a full scale picture of my skeleton in the system. I hope I can get hold of a copy.

Now, the thing with the radioisotopes is that they will stay in my body and be slowly eliminated in the coming 3 days. This means that I am right now radioactive (cool, isn't it?). Unfortunately beside having to stay away from pregnant women and not flying, I don't feel any difference. I guess, like superman, I was hoping I would get some super power out of it. Even for only a few days.
I also regret not flying. I would have loved to see the faces of the security guards in the airport when I would have had a full body reacting to their detectors. That would have been fun.

My last hope is that tonight, when we will switch off the lights, I will start to glow :) THAT would be awesome!

No comments: