Saturday, January 9, 2010

My move: 90% complete

8am: no snow, there is hope the weather forecast was wrong.
9am: forget what I just said. It's snowing and walking to the bakery was quite a challenge. No one had cleared pavement yet :(
10am: snowing still. What shall we do? We waited a bit.
11am: let's drive to the new place and check the roads. If we can't make it with the car we won't move today. Luckily roads were pretty much clear and ok to drive (seems priority was given to clean the roads vs. the pavement). We checked with our helpers that they were still ok to help and drove to Dockx to rent a van. You can read the full description about the van and driving it on Wolfram's blog. All I can tell you is that it is big. They don't call it "mega van" for nothing with 10m3 volume for transport inside.
12:30pm: we were at my place. We managed to get the van in the garage and with the help of Ioana, Nadia, Andreas and Jeroen we loaded all my belongings in there. Well almost all of it as I still need to pack the kitchen. I have to admit I felt quite guilty throughout the process as I can't carry much because of my back so I was mostly directing and finalizing packing while the others were doing the hard work.
4:30pm: my whole life or so is in the van and everybody's cars. We took off for the new place.
5pm: I'm standing in front of the new house and see people parking a smaller van. Seems we're not the only one moving today. I asked them to park a bit more to the side (or less in the middle) so we could fit our van and the unloading started.
6:30pm: van was empty, apartment filled with my belongings. Those guys were fantastic and managed to get everything up even the tricky buffet or large bed frame. We left for a well deserved diner.
9:30pm: I'm back home to pick up the cats. Nadia and Andreas came back to pick up 2 armchairs (yes that's the ones the whole family sat on for the last 30 years and I'm happy they will have a new home at friends' place).
11pm: Mokka and Muffin are doing their first steps in their new house. Exploration started while I'm setting up the bed for our first night in the new apartment.

No comments: