Friday, January 29, 2010

Gruyere

Gruyere is a cheese full of holes (in case you don't know).
The reason I'm mentioning it is not because I started to eat cheese (I know, some people still hope it will happen) but because it describes very well the state of the roads these days in Belgium.
It's been quite freezing cold in Belgium for the last month and a half more or less. Last week was a bit warmer, finally the snow had melted, and we had positive temperature. The relief lasted only for a week as it's snowing again as I write those lines.
So very cold weather, negative temperature for days, lot's of snow and ice everywhere... as a consequence the material they used to make the road started to break apart. More exactly it's like a small "explosion" here and there creating big holes on the surface. It has become nearly dangerous to drive on some roads because they are so damaged.
I recall telling my cousin Ramzi that in Belgium, especially in the city area, you don't need a 4-wheel car, given the roads are in very good conditions. The past few days I've been reconsidering my position :)

No comments: