Saturday, January 30, 2010

Garbage bags

Fair enough, I already talked about the container park not so long ago, but I realized in the past 2 weeks how lucky I was until now.
In Meise, when your register to the town, you receive an envelop with 3 garbage bags and a calendar. On the calendar you can see on which days they will come pick up the trash:
- once a week for the white bag (with all food leftovers) together with the brown bag (with everything else)
- every other week for the blue bag (with all the plastic bottles) and paper/cartons
I can imagine that you cannot care less about our trash schedule, but we do. Because in a move you generate quite some trash and having such a tight schedule is not always easy to manage.
On top, the brown bags are hugely expensive (1.60 euros a bag!!!!) to encourage you to sort as much as possible. Makes sense, but also transform your apartment in a mini container park with 1 box for the paper, 1 for the plastic bottles, 1 for the glass (which they don't pick up), 1 for the food leftover and another one for the rest.
I have to say, all those years that I had in the building the containers and I could bring everything down, directly, anytime, any day, I clearly never realized how lucky I was.

No comments: