Sunday, July 19, 2009

Cap Frehel

Today I took Wolfram to the Cap Frehel. Believe it or not Wolfram had never been to Brittany (I know for many of us who grew up there it's unbelievable) so I wanted to use the opportunity to be in Brittany to show him a couple of spots.
Cap Frehel is one of the most beautiful places of Brittany (and I meant it. Take a look at the pictures below and you'll understand why if you doubt my words).
It's one of those places where I could spend hours just sitting there watching the sea and the birds that live there.
It's so beautiful I cannot choose only 2 pictures to show you :)

Cap Frehel and its lighthouse:

We were very lucky as the moor was is blossoming: purple flowers everywhere.

Overview of the coast:






Waves breaking on the foot of the cliff:


The different colors of the granit on the cliff:

The famous "granite rose"

Water is so transparent you can see the rock under it (and so turquoise it makes you want to jump in it)


Wolfram risking his life to get the "perfect angle"

This site is a well-known for its birds: many birds live there on the rocks. Just sit there 5 minutes and you will see them flying around (not to mention hear them). We saw some cormorants:



and many seagulls:




Now guess how many pictures the 2 of us took of seagulls? Way too many but those birds turned out to be a good target to practice your photography skills.

Fort de Latte
I had to plan to walk from the Cap Frehel to the Fort de Latte (2km only) but this never happened. What I had not anticipated is that after 2 hours we had covered about 20m of the coast as Wolfram was really all over the place taking pictures. Seems hiking is not compatible with photography. I'll remember that for next time.

Flowers from the moor: Heather (the pink one) and gorse bush (the yellow one):






I have to say it did me good to go there as somehow watching the waves breaking on the rock at the foot of the cliff has always been a way for me to recharge my battery. Most likely it's more the positive effect of the oxygen from the air in my lung that does something but still I feel re-energized after being there.
PS: the good thing about being away from Brittany is that you never get used to the landscape. Each time I come back I enjoy rediscovering it :)

No comments: