Thursday, March 12, 2009

Anneau 1

In case you wonder that's how Chinese people translated "ring 1" from English into French (for the non French, it should have been "sonnerie 1"). Last night while picking up our shirts at Yashow, Alice needed to buy cell phones for her sister. Somehow in the middle of the bargain I heard myself say "how much if we take 3" (you always get a better price if you buy more than one).
So I got home with a new cell phone and a notice in Chinese. Despite the phone was set up to French it did not help getting around. As very often in China the translation is very approximate. I believe the Chinese was translated to English in some online translation tool which was then translated in French with the same tool. And there you go, the weirdest French ever. The good thing is that I keep on smiling each time I look at the menu, trying to figure out what it should be :)
For the French speaking people here are some examples (I let you guess what they mean):
- telephoner l'organisation
- les methodes d'entree
- texte de saluation
- appel abrege
- appeler l'exposition de temps
- appeler le rappel de temps
- bien (instead of OK)
- arriere (instead of back)
and it goes on and on :)

No comments: