Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Finishing / Starting the year with amazing dinner

For the New Year's Eve, Joy, Yann, Wolfram and I had made a reservation at Le Quinzieme, the restaurant of Cyril Lignac in Paris. He is one of the new generation of French Chefs who are very popular by re-inventing and modernizing the classics of French gastronomy.

The menu was simply excellent, divine, exquisite... I don't know what is the best way to describe what we ate. Wolfram took picture of every course and will show you.
It was beautiful to see. We loved the dishes in which they were served as well. It was simply amazing to taste. The spices and ingredients were combined in a way that each course was a new experience and even better than the previous one. Well with one exception for me: the cheese which I didn't eat but I can tell you it smelled really bad.
I had the best mashed potatoes ever and I suspect the truffles inside probably had something to do with that.
The lobster and its sauce were just unbelievable. All the plates we returned were sparkling clean because we couldn't leave a single drop.
Each course was paired with a glass of wine selected to match perfectly. Nicely complementing the experience.
At midnight the Chef opened a mathusalem of Veuve Clicquot Champagne (that's 6 litters!!!!). We enjoyed two rounds of it while waiting for the rain to stop.

Nice surprise, for the girls, we received a piece of cake to take with us. Four slices of cake just in case we would get hungry during the night. I will save them for the flight later today. We are flying Economy this time so food will be bad and better bring a cake from a one start Michelin restaurant to still travel in style :)

It was expensive to eat in a one start Michelin restaurant but I don't regret a second. I will dream of some of the courses for a while and as we talked... they are worth being what I would ask to eat for my last meal if I ended up on death row - it's a long story why we started that topic :)

No comments: