Thursday, January 24, 2013

Do you want to have it removed?

Today I went to the family clinic near the office. My back has been painful lately and I feel it is time to get a physiotherapist back in my life.
Step one was to get to a doctor.
I walked in, gave all my details, got a number and waited until it was my turn. Roughly 20min later I was with a doctor. So far the system was quite smooth and efficient.
I explained my case. I had brought with me all the reports from the doctors back in Belgium as well as the scans to save myself the pain to have to do them all over again. 
The scary part is while the doctor fully understood my issue and what was needed, the moment he heard about my lump, he offered to get it removed.
No way!
He knows me for 5 minutes and he already wants to cut me open!
I kindly explained that my lump and I have been living happily together (or so) for the past four years so before we cut me open, maybe we should check whether it grew. If not, it can just stay there.
Anyhow, I walked out of there with a prescription for an ultrasound and another one for physiotherapy. The latter is funny to read. After explaining what my problem is, it says..."Patient is very keen on physiotherapy. Please assist." That's pretty vague instructions if you ask me.
Tomorrow I have an appointment with a physiotherapist in a center on Orchard which is far from home but the only center where there was still a spot in the coming days. I'm curious to see how it goes and hope it will help.

No comments: