Sunday, February 7, 2010

Step #2: Mosque of Al-Azhar

Leaving behind the Sphinx and the pyramids I took a taxi to my next stop: the Mosque of Al-Azhar in the old Cairo.
I was not so impressed by this Mosque. Clearly the one in Istanbul are a category above but as every religious monument, it seems like a serene atmosphere is owning the place. Therefore in the chaos of the city it was a very peaceful visit.
Gate of the Barbers, entrance of the Mosque

Inside the mosque




With my spirituality taken care of I crossed the street to enter Khan al-Khalili, Cairo’s main souq. Tons of small shops selling souvenirs, spices and local handicraft. Of course they all try to get your attention (‘I’ve got all you need”, “Lady, the most beautiful here”, and so on). Nothing really caught my eyes and beside spices (bah, oui, les epices du Caire comme dirait Benabar :)) I didn’t buy anything. Simply spent 1 hour wandering in the small crowded colored streets.

PS: if you know a good recipe with Saffran, please share. I’ve got 100g of it to be creative with :)

No comments: