Sunday, November 24, 2013

Forget the car, let's buy an aircraft


Today Oskar and I left Singapore for Brest. We embarked into a 25 hour journey door to door. I know it because I had to estimate how much milk and how many diapers we would need for the trip.
Luckily for us, Oskar was due for food just before we left to the airport. Smoothly, his Papa gave him a bath, fed him and we rushed out to the taxi. The three if us, and two suitcases, one trolley, one car seat, one stroller and one diaper bag. I think last time I was so loaded when traveling was when I went to China.
At the airport we checked in everything all the way to Brest so I don't need to worry about it in Paris. I was happy that I could keep the stroller all the way to the plane. This clearly made my life easier as I had quits some things to carry still. For example what must be the biggest diaper bag loaded with everything I could think of to face any situation with Oskar.

We waited into the lounge until it was time. It turned out quite stressful as Oskar was wide awake and very cranky. I could see the people looking at us hoping the baby was not on their flight. We had missed his bed time and consequently was asking for an extra meal. I obliged 10min before they called us for boarding. In 30min, he was fed, diaper was changed, and we cleared security. I was given priority, not only because of my frequent flyer status but also because I had a baby in a stroller. And that's a separate security check.
Although I called yesterday and confirmed the bassinet and an aisle seat, at check in my seat had changed to a window. Traveling alone I would not take a window seat as I need to get up frequently. With Oskar that's an absolute no go. They said they would ask the passenger next to me to swap. Of course when I arrived at the gate, no one knew about it. As it was getting quite late already, someone walked with me to the plane to get this sorted out. He also carried some if my bags once I dropped the stroller. That was really nice and a life savior. I would have needed another pair if hands.
Once on board there was some confusion as to where I should sit. Eventually they moved us. Not to business class (I wish) but to an aisle seat with the bassinet. The crew moved all my bags and even took the bottles to the kitchen to ensure they stat vertical during take off.
After take off, they installed the bassinet, brought down everything I needed and I could peacefully install Oskar for the night.
To note, the bassinet is not that big. It felt like Oskar was filling it almost and by looking at the other bassinets I could see some kids had their feet out. Not complaining. Having a bed for Oskar is fantastic.

I don't know if it's because it was his night time, or if it was the vibrations, or because the cabine was dark most of the time, or the fact that I put him bigger diapers that can contain more, or if the gods heard our prayers but Oskar slept nearly the whole flight. Unbelievable. I had prepared myself for crying and angry look of other people, but nothing. He slept after take off. I fed him right when he woke up not leaving him the time to realize what was happening. Twice he went back to sleep after feeding. Yes, I was happy and relieved.
It did help as well that the flight was one hour shorter. Thanks to good winds we were early. Who knows what might have happened during that hour. 

From my side, this was a very unusual trip. Normally I would watch 3-4 movies to kill the time as I can't sleep. This time, not one movie. I watched my son sleeping to ensure I would be ready any time he cries and limit the disturbance for the other passenger. I also got some sleep. Not much but as I've been sleeping in 2-3 hour blocks in the past two months, doing the same on a plane worked quite well. This should have killed me but instead I found myself quite rested. Let's see tomorrow once the jet lag kicks in. 

I already mentioned that the Air France crew was very helpful. During the whole flight they checked on me and whether I needed anything. I have to say that it was great to have such an attentive crew.

I'm curious to see how it goes on the short flight to Brest. 

No comments: