Sunday, May 26, 2013

The Grand Palace

We woke up early, had a solid breakfast, got a taxi and arrive at the Grand Palace of Bangkok to discover the place packed with people.
May 24th this year is a holiday in Thailand as well as in Singapore. It's Vesak, celebrating the ‘Buddha’s Birthday’. Vesak is actually the celebration of the birth, enlightenment and death of Buddha all celebrated in one day. So efficient! Needless to say that half of Bangkok was with us in the palace to attend celebrations in the temples.
The Grand Palace was as impressive as I remembered. The only negative this time was the crowd which made the experience not so pleasant. I'm happy I had the chance to visit it when it was emptier, but sad for Wolfram who had to cope with so many people around. Imagine the challenge for the guy who likes to have pictures without people. 
The Grand Palace is also a place where one should be dressed appropriately. Consequently Wolfram had to borrow some long pants and I had to unroll mine to cover my legs. This lead to us feeling even more hot and sweating even more. Clearly this visit turned into a complete workout :)
I didn't take too many pictures this time because I some point I couldn't bear the heat anymore so I spent a lot of my time in the shades watching people.
The pictures I took are either taken from the shade where I was trying to cool down or on the way in between two shade areas, i.e. I took one shot and decided not to bother if someone is on it. Perfection didn't win the battle against survival of the pregnant woman :)
Here is a selection of pictures: 












No comments: