Saturday, February 2, 2013

A painful ultrasound

This morning, I got up early and went to the Novena Medical Center to have my ultrasound done.
I had an appointment at 8:30am. I estimated I would be done by latest 9am. I was so wrong.
After roughly 30minutes of scanning the area, the technician told me she couldn't see it. Now the thing is that my lipoma was seen already twice in the past years, even measured. It is not possible for if to disappear just like that. It either stays in me forever or get surgically removed. Given no one cut me open to my knowledge, it had to be there.
Clearly this ultrasound is different from the classical pregnancy ultrasound check where a baby can't be missed and the technician didn't know what to do or where to look.
Around 9:15, she gave up and told me they will arrange for me to go to the hospital across the street so a doctor could have a look.
By 9:30am I was walking with someone to the hospital, Mount Elizabeth Novena hospital. Now that's something!
The lobby is like a hotel lobby. There is a fountain in the driveway, there is a Starbucks inside the facility and they even offer valet service. It felt more like a hotel than a hospital. The more I saw about it the more I was thinking it must cost a fortune to be a patient here.
After another round of registration, I was given a blouse to change into, had to wait a bit longer and finally another technician made the ultrasound.
Service is so important that when she left the room to check with the doctor, she covered my legs with a blanket so I would not get cold.
The other detail is that they keep on offering you a place to sit while waiting. Unfortunately for me that didn't appeal to me at all as the more time they spent scanning the more in pain I was.
I did take a couple of pictures of the hallway while waiting simply because it did not look like a hospital.

What should have taken 10-15min, took in the end 2 hours. Plus one more to get the report.
Not to mention I had to pay 143S$ for a simple ultrasound.
Today I really miss the healthcare system of Europe, not to say France.




No comments: