Friday, August 5, 2011

Gorges du Verdon

1h30 from the village were we’re staying are the Gorges du Verdon, a natural canyon where the Verdon river runs.
We left the house early after a solid breakfast and hit the road direction Moustiers-Sainte-Marie where I quickly jumped out of the car to get the hiking booklet as recommended by the Lonely Planet. Moustiers-Sainte-Marie is a lovely traditional village from Provence but at 10am when we reached it it was already packed with tourists. In other words we sort of ran away from it, which is a pity.
We then took the road to the Gorges, passing the Lac de Sainte-Croix.

Objective was to reach the Chalet de la Maline, where the sentier Martel starts, via the Route des Cretes.
The Route des Cretes is a road that follows the edge of the canyon and reveals as you go unbelievable views on the river. Of course we stopped frequently trying to capture the beauty in front of our eyes. I’m not sure the pictures I took will do justice to the place but I do hope they will give you a feel of what it looks like, and maybe even the wish to visit the place some day.


Once at the chalet we quickly ate lunch and got ready for going down the canyon. Plan was to follow the sentier Martel to the bottom (348m drop), cross the river at Passerelle de l’Estellie and walk along the river all the way to the Imbut.
Going down was easy (of course).
 Look at this man :)
After 1 hour or so we reached the bridge to cross the river. Standing on the bridge the view was incredible. Being at the bottom of the canyon gives a perspective that you should not miss. Water was turquoise. If it wasn’t for the fact that we had left the swimming suits in the car (yep, 348m higher) we would have taken a swim.
Passerelle:
Down the river:
Up the river:
We then followed the sentier de l’Imbut which takes you along the river to the point where it disappears in the rocks.  
The path quickly turned into climbing rocks but after the Gorges d’Opedette we were well trained. This said, after a while there was no path really but only rocks (sometimes slippery) and a metallic cord on the side to help you walk forward. Any step badly placed means you drop in the river. That’s for the adrenaline shot.

The hike was tough but the view was making the effort worth it. After 1h30 on the sentier de l’Imbut, I suggested we started the way back. After all some 3h hiking with the way back to the top was waiting for us.
Part of me regret we didn’t complete the path to see the Imbut but stopped at Le Maugue, but realistically I don’t think I would have made it. The way up was really tough with the evening sun on us and no more water half way through. Despite all the training I do for the 20km, with 4 hours of hiking behind me, I struggled to the top. Steep slopes and I have never been good friends. There was a point where it was just one step after the other and hopefully the top will be there, eventually.

I’m glad we went down as I had the chance to see the canyon like I never did before but physically it was tough. Tomorrow we’ll rest. No walking, no moving, just rest.
Note for myself: buy a 2L camel bag for my backpack as the 1L I have is not enough.

No comments: