Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Billing info


Taking advantage of Wolfram being in the US for 2 weeks I ordered last Friday new pants on Gap/Banana Republic online. This way I was sure to get the right model/color/size with no need for Wolfram to visit all the Gap shops of Cincinnati.
Today around 4pm I received an email asking me to call the customer service. Now what? I was already annoyed.
I called; I hold the line until someone was free and finally got in touch with a lady. I gave my order number and she checked what the problem was. They could not confirm my billing information. Quid?
Apparently the name for the billing address I gave is not matching the name on the credit card. Hum… no wonder… I explained that I live in Belgium, used my French credit card to order pants to be delivered to my partner in the US at his hotel. I did put his name for the bill so they don’t have to send a bill to Belgium. It’s cheaper and easier for them. Well it should be.
“Excuse me, could you clarify in which state is the billing address for this credit card?”
“France, in Europe”
“Silence”
Of course this was a VERY complex situation which she didn’t know how to solve. I told her that I find it unbelievable that I can order anything I want from Amazon US from Europe but can’t do it with Banana Republic. I’m so disappointed. She asked for a moment to talk to her manager.
When she was back on line, she told me they would process my order, apologized for the confusion and promised it would be delivered within 7 working days, as of Friday when I did place the order.
I love the US for that. If you start complaining, they are so afraid you would sue, they simply do whatever you want.

No comments: