Saturday, September 4, 2010

Applebee's

Applesbee's is a chain of restaurant in the US. They serve the typical "American" menu: burgers, sandwiches, salads, steaks, quesadillas, etc.
I used to go to Applebee's when I was in the US many years back to have their chicken quesadilla, that's one of these starters that are big enough for a full meal.
This year my mindset was a bit different. Combination of diet and clearly no use of giant portion lead me to discard the quesadilla. Applebee's kindly provide on each table a booklet with the calories of each dish. The beloved quesadilla represent 1440 calories (and that's only a starter), i.e. 80% of what I should eat per day. Facing this number deprived the quesadilla from its appeal.
Having the table of calories at hand helps a lot when it comes to ordering and limiting the damage. Sadly a lot of the food there has a high amount of calories (even a salad can have 800 calories!). I don't want to imagine if you have a starter, a main course and a desert. In one meal you can eat 3 to 4000 calories!!!!
On top of the booklet, Applebee's offers a selection of dishes of 550 calories max. We loved that selection not only for the low(er) calories but also because the portion were just right. 7oz steak is enough and with vegetable and 1 baked potato, you simply don't need more.
Conclusion I still love Applebee's, but for very different reasons now vs. before. What can I say, we evolve over time ;)

No comments: