Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Servant leader

While reading a report on how to manage global organizations and how to make them successful I came across the following expression "servant leader"
Erg. I have to confess neither me or the colleague with me knew what it was about. So what do you do in such cases? we googled it :)
Here is what I found...

What is servant leadership?
Servant leadership is one of the most popular leadership models around today. The concept was developed by Robert K. Greenleaf in 1970. The servant leader serves the people he/she leads which implies that they are an end in themselves rather than a means to an organizational purpose or bottom line.

What do servant leaders do?
- devote themselves to serving the needs of organization members.
- focus on meeting the needs of those they lead.
- develop employees to bring out the best in them.
- coach others and encourage their self expression.
- facilitate personal growth in all who work with them.
- listen and build a sense of community.

Now I know what I need to work on as a manager...

1 comment:

Bernhard said...

This pretty much sums up what I expect from an excellent manager.

I hate managers that build fiefdoms and collect (perceived) power like other people collect stamps.