Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Chinese numbers


Today I had my 2nd lesson of Chinese and the teacher decided to teach me the numbers. Before getting to the actual Chinese words for each number, I had to learn the hand signs for 1 to 10. As you can see, when you see Chinese people doing a gesture like they want to shoot you, they actually mean 8. I don't know why but I get the feeling it's not going to be that easy...
Now higher numbers get even better. Let me give you some examples:
- for 15 you say ten-five
- for 20 you say two-ten
- for 110 you say one-hundred-one-ten
- for 105 you say one-hundred-zero-five
- and my favourite 1111: one-thousand-one-hundred-one-ten-one
In a way it's simple because you dón't need to learn new words, just put the numbers one after the other, now it's very counter-intuitive when you're used to another system.

No comments: