Sunday, June 22, 2014

Smart toothbrush

I used to have a toothbrush. A manual one. I would put the toothpaste and used it.
It was very simple.

Many years ago I abandoned the manual toothbrush for an electrical one.
It stayed simple: put the toothpaste, push the button and use. Just one extra button to push and it would automatically stop after two minutes.
Easy.

Last Thursday I acquired a new electrical toothbrush. There was a charity sale at work and they were selling Oral B electrical toothbrushes for only 20$. It was a Japanese model which meant we had to either buy a transformer (15$) or a new charger at the right voltage (45$). Even with a new charger, it remains a bargain. So while I was getting one for Wolfram, I decided to get one for me too.

Now I have a smart toothbrush.
It comes with a separate device with a screen that communicates with me. It shows time. It shows what side I should be brushing. It says if I'm brushing to hard thanks to sensors. It says which mode I am using... Yes, there are different modes: normal, sensitive, whitening, deep cleaning... you name it.
For the first time in my life since my parents taught me how to brush my teeth, I feel like I need a full training to understand how to use my fancy smart toothbrush.

I just hope that when I push the button tonight, I will manage to brush my teeth without having to read the manual to figure out how to do so.
After all, it's just a toothbrush - a smart one, but still a toothbrush.


No comments: