Sunday, June 8, 2014

Hyper-sensitivity

Today was the day of my annual dentist check. I'm not a fan of dentists because inevitably they find something and it becomes painful and expensive. But, if I don't go regularly it's worse.
Today was no exception to the rule.

It was painful.

After a so-so experience last year with one dentist, I made an appointment with another one near the office this time. I thought in case we need to go back, might be easier instead of wasting our Saturdays visiting the dentist.
Dentist was a friendly yet firm woman who quickly checked my teeth, took x-ray and started the cleaning process. So far nothing special to report. 
Except while cleaning she got to a couple if my teeth that are a bit sensitive. I say a bit because the only moment I feel them is when toothpaste ends up on them directly. Rest of the time, everything is fine. I can drink cold and hot beverages, I can eat whatever I want, I never feel anything. But today, as she cleaned near the gum, it got pretty painful. Once she applied cold water on it, I thought I would jump out of the chair. X-Ray did not show any cavity (yeah!!!) so it's purely sensitivity due to my gum being in regression. She suggested new toothpaste and mouthwash with fluoride to deal with this.  And to kick off the process she had me soak my teeth in a fluoride solution for one minute. One tiny minute that felt the longest ever. I had so much pain I found myself doing breathing exercises. Not that I believe that they can work but at least it helps to focus on something. Dentist said she had never seen someone reacting so strongly to this treatment. She asked how bad was the pain? Whether it was a 10 on 10? Realistically it was not the worst pain I've ever felt but it did belong my top 3, somewhere after labour pain and bad days back pain.
She called it hyper-sensitivity and said it had to be taken care of now. I did say she was friendly BUT firm.
I had so much pain I agreed to do whatever it takes to avoid this to happen again.
She gave me three months to fix it.

And...
It will be expensive as apparently I need to get a couple if crowns on my molars at the back. Luckily this will wait until my hyper-sensitivity is solved.

No comments: