Tuesday, June 26, 2012

We have a church

Today we had one important appointment. We met with the minister of the Eglise Protestante de Bruxelles.

A month ago or so, my aunt Daad was watching the church on Sunday morning on TV and guess what... it was in a lovely littel church in Brussels. She told my Mum who told me and I looked for it. Strangely when we searched for a protestant church, this one never came up. Maybe because we searched a church more in the area of the castle, maybe because we searched in English and not French, we will never know but thanks to Daad, we discovered it.
We attended the service one Sunday and contacted the minister to talk about getting married there.

The minister is a very welcoming woman. I have to say that after being turned down by so many priests I found it very refreshing and motivating to meet with someone with a smile and eager to marry us, despite our complex situation. It does puzzle a bit people that we want to get married on a Thursday in December in Belgium while we're moving to Singapore in September. I wonder why?

After filling out all the administrative information, she explained to us what would happen during the ceremony. She also took quality time to explain to me that it is a blessing and not a sacrament like in catholic church. I've also been told that I need to get a certain document (dispense de forme canonique) so the marriage can be recognized by the catholic church as well. More paperwork, yeah :)
We booked the four preparation sessions we need to complete with her in July so it's done before she goes on vacation and we leave Belgium. It starts on Monday.

Cherry on the cake: not only does she speaks fluently English, but she can speak some German as well and offered to do so during the wedding ceremony. It's almost too good to be true.

No comments: