Friday, June 8, 2012

50 hours in Berlin or so

My first time in Berlin and all I've seen from it was on the way from/to the airport and between the hotel and the set.
I was there for technical support for a copy shoot and spent most of my time on the set. On the one hand it's exciting to be behind the scene when something is shot, on the other hand I would have loved to have a couple of hours to visit a bit.
I guess next time.

Live as part of a production team is very different from what most of us know. They have periods when they don't work at all, and suddenly they are busy for days/weeks/months. They can't plan really anything because their agenda is subject to change any minute, if someone calls. They need to make sure they do a good/great job so the next time someone needs a producer/director/photographer/cameraman/catering, etc. they are being called again.
What's also interesting is that they all have a specific role to play. They were 70+ people on the set, each with his/her role clearly defined. In other words, don't ask a cameraman to fix the light. To the outside eye (like me) it seems like there are way too many people at the same time, but in their world, with each a specific role, they all belong there and they all know what they have to do. A bit like an ant hill.

I can't wait to see the final edit so I can share it with you. Patience.

No comments: