Saturday, March 31, 2012

First lessons from first day looking for a wedding dress

1) Make an appointment
Most places will open their doors only if you have an appointment. This said, the advantage is that the shop is then just for you and your crowd. Full attention just on you.
2) I like (high) quality fabric
In one of the shops we visited today, the designer who received us showed us the fabrics he works with: silk, satin, double layer satin, wild silk, and many more. Just buy seeing the fabric you can imagine how beautiful the dress will be. As a consequence any shop with 100% polyester dresses ended up almost immediately discarded, even more if they had pearls and beads on them. I simply don't see myself getting married in polyester even if I know it will cost me an arm and a leg.
3) Bring someone you trust to guide you
Sales persons will just try to sell you anything, especially the most expensive ones. And we witnessed a woman being advised to choose one dress over the other, just because it's more expensive and not because it fits her better.
4) No meringue type of dress
The more meringue the dress was (i.e. all puffy and full of air), the worst it was. We did laugh a lot but seriously I don't see myself getting married in a dress that will require 2m-wide aisle so I can walk through.
5) Bustier dress could be an option
Assuming I keep my shoulders straight.
Yes, mum I can hear you :)
6) It's exhausting
It's not just like any other shopping trip after which you come home with plenty of bags. This time you tour around several shops, try dozens of dresses and keep asking yourself: "Is this the one?"

Next round in two weeks. Let's see how this goes.

PS: THANK YOU Alice for joining me on this first day.

1 comment:

Elvis said...

There's a wedding shop in the street with very beautiful wedding dresses, also dresses for the bride mother, mostly silk, wild silk all high quality! So I'm going often window shopping.

I think, you will find the best for the great day!