Friday, November 4, 2011

Thai cooking class

This morning we were picked up at the guest house to go to the Thai Farm for a day of cooking.
As you may have noticed all tours start with a pick up at your hotel. And that's really nice vs. having to go to a meeting point. Here no stress, just get up, get ready and get in the car/van.
But let's get back to cooking.

Day started by a visit to a market where we were introduced to the different key ingredients of Thai cuisine. Fascinating as you can imagine.
Each of us got to pick from the menu what we wanted to cook.
Here is what I picked:
- green curry chicken
- Tom yam soup with shrimps
- stir fried chicken with cashew nuts
- pad Thai fried noodles (my all time favorite)
- mango with sticky rice
Each of us had the chance cook his/her own menu and of course to eat it all afterwards (or ask for a doggie bag).

The secret being Thai cuisine (same with other Asian I believe) is in the preparation. Where you spend time is on cutting, slicing, chopping, etc. before hand. The cooking itself is very quick.
The other major element is to get all the right ingredients which in Europe is not always the easiest. They use way more fresh herbs and spices than we do. Many Chinese supermarkets to visit I guess when i'm back.

While I feel full with everything I cooked and ate, I feel really happy to have learnt how to make some of my favorite that dishes. This was really a great day for me.
Can't wait to repeat at home!

No comments: