Friday, April 17, 2009

MRI or another Chinese experience

Today I was scheduled to have an MRI (i.e. Magnetic Resonance Imaging) to investigate further my back and maybe identify the origin of the pain.
At 12:20pm my dad and I left the apartment and walked to the International Medical Center. At 12:30 we left the center with a nurse and grabbed a taxi. Direction: Beijing Chaoyang Hospital.
15min later we were facing the hospital...
... and followed the nurse through different paths to access the MRI building, somewhere at the back. We were too early. Apparently the appointment was at 1pm so we had 20min to spend. We were invited by the nurse to seat in the waiting room. As you can see it is not the most welcoming waiting room. We were wondering if Mao actually visited that waiting room hospital as it looked quite old :)

The kind nurse who accompanied us.

At 1pm finally the nurse smiled to a man (the doctor? the technician?). This was followed by quite some discussion between the nurse and the man. Every now and then they would look at me. They discuss again. 15min later we were asked to follow them. We left the old building, went through some back doors via the underground parking and arrived in the new MRI building. In 5min we jumped 40-50 years. We were now in a 21st century hospital where everything was clean and modern (and the MRI equipment looked more recent as well). We were shown to a room and asked to wait.
And we waited...
10min later the nurse came back asking me to sign a document accepting the risk of the procedure. All in Chinese of course so she called the Canadian Doctor so he could explain me what it was and what the risks were. I think I was very lucky to have my dad with me who explained to me the procedure in details, step by step, so I would know what's coming. Anyhow, I did sign and the nurse left.
10min (or maybe 15min) passed.
When she came back, this time she had a nurse from the hospital with me. She was there to place the perfusion in my arm, which she did. Of course I was then asked to wait.
And we waited, and waited... so much we sent an sms to my mum telling her to have lunch and maybe read a book or watch a DVD because at this pace we might still be there the next day.
Eventually the nurse returned and asked me if I had any metal in my body. No :) In my clothes? Yes :) That was obviously a problem because they had planned on having me do the procedure in my clothes (usually, at least in Europe, they give you a blouse). She left.
And we waited another 10min.
She came back with a pyjama and asked me to put it on. Now how do I do that with the perfusion in my arm? She left.
She came back and they took me to the VIP lounge (a room with 2 armchairs and a TV) so I could change. Of course the nurse had to stay with me. I think she was extremely embarrassed that she had to help me change. But again what could I do with a perfusion on my arm.
Back in the room with my dad we waited again. Quite some time, again.
Finally it was my turn!
I got in, laid down on the board, was fixed to it so I couldn't move. They gave me a headset to cover the noise and it started. After a while they pulled me out and injected something in the perfusion. Back in for another round. 30min later I was out, having cold feet and being tired. They said it was over. The nurse walked me back to the VIP room so I could change. We picked up my dad and walked out with this beautiful bag containing the shots.

We of course debated whether or not I could keep the shots. The nurse was not so keen so we called the Canadian doctor and told him we were coming back so we could take a look at them.
15min taxi later we arrived at the clinic and I was told that he could not tell me if it was ok or not as he is not trained to read these... Luckily for me I have a dad who is fully trained and guess what? The MRI was very well done. It's just a pity they made shots from the front and not the back, which means we cannot see the area that matters. Again, it's China, great execution, even with wrong or misunderstood instructions.
I will wait being back in Europe to repeat the MRI. I'll find a way to survive 2.5 months because I don't want to go waste my time (and my parents time today) and money one more time.
Another Chinese experience :)

No comments: