Thursday, June 18, 2015

Preschool - Day 3

We dropped Oskar and left him there for one hour. There was crying but apparently he quickly settled down. It all depends on how long is "a while".
I came back for the water play as we wanted to check how it was done. I found Oskar with Agnes, the assistant teacher (yes another Agnes). He did not want to go in the water but played on the side.
Shower afterwards was tough as Oskar did not want to be washed but once dressed up again it was easier. In all fairness I cannot blame him for not wanting a cold shower. Apparently hot water is optional.
Today they finally did the so called life skills activity and Oskar enjoyed the different puzzles.

The lunch was better but Oskar only ate two spoons of the rice. It tasted better than yesterday but had a strong flavor most likely due to the coriander. Oskar and many other kids did not like it.

Morning finished with the Chinese lesson. It's difficult for Oskar to engage because he has no idea what's happening. At least the teacher was more lively. I guess she is not a morning person.

Tomorrow will be the big day. We will leave him alone the whole morning.

After three days, I cannot help wondering if this is the right school. I find that they are not stimulating the kids so much. There are lots of down time (no wonder if you spend the day showering kids) and even when they do activities, teacher and assistant teacher do not really interact with the kids. I sat through 3 hours of Chinese and I have no idea what she was talking about except for the few words I remembered.   During games, kids are left alone just supervised. My vision of school was more than that. If we wanted someone to watch Oskar, we don't need a school. We had Tess and now have Agnes. School was supposed to provide him with what he can not get at home: playing with other kids and additional activities. While I'm sure the first one will come in time, on the second one in not sure this school will be able to help develop Oskar. 

No comments: