Sunday, June 7, 2015

Getting moving

For a few months now I have been using the Fitbit to track my steps. With a target of 10 000 steps a day, on days without gym I often find myself pacing the apartment to reach the target. It's actually quite inpressive how something so small is forcing us to move more: pacing while on a call at work, walking back from Bishan instead of taking the subway for only one station, going to the playground with Oskar... Anything to make more steps and reach the target. 
In theory this should help me get fitter and it did work with Wolfram. Unfortunately none of those fitness tracking device or app can factor in pregnancy. So I exercise, but I don't get much benefit from it. Hopefully it will pay off later. 

For a few days now I have been using the apple watch (great gift from my loving husband) and it's making the challenge even tougher. The watch counts active calories which definition is not clear. Apparently it factors in the steps, the motion and the heart rate. In other words, the fitter you are the tougher your challenge. The lazier you are, the easier your challenge. Again the watch does not know pregnancy so I get an almost impossible 610 active calories to burn everyday. That's more than Wolfram's target and only reachable if I go to the gym for a workout. I guess the watch won't be happy with me for another four months.

If you read this message sitting, get on your feet and make a few steps thinking of us :)

No comments: