Sunday, March 9, 2014

Crack

Yesterday as I was walking on Orchard road someone stepped on my foot. Nothing unusual there as it happens very often in Singapore with all the people walking while watching something on their smart phone.
This time however it hurt a lot. And the pain didn't go away. Not after 5min, nor 30min, nor a few hours.
We suspected a broken toe but I argued to wait tomorrow. Maybe it's just swollen and bruised. Wolfram applied ice and I kept my foot up for the evening.
The next morning was unfortunately not better. It was actually more blue than the night before.
Wolfram made the call to go to the 24h clinic at Mount Alvernia to have a doctor check my toe.
Registration and triage went pretty fast. Place was nearly empty so in less than 15min we were seeing the doctor who sent me for an xray. As anticipated.
After a little ride in a wheel chair (apparently my walking pace was not fast enough), I was back and we waited for the doctor to see us again.
In the meantime, Wolfram had fed Oskar who then took a nap and played until the doctor called us again... a good hour later.
To be fair he did apologize for the delay. Apparently someone came with a heart attack and they had to resuscitate him. Obviously broken toe was depriotized.
Well, my toe is not broken per se. There is a crack that's causing the pain, the swelling and the bruising but no bone is completely broken. That's good news.
It still means I need to rest my foot to ensure the crack heals properly. So the doctor asked a nurse to strap my toe to keep it in place and gave me 5 days of medical leave to rest my foot. He also advised me to see an orthopedic surgeon to confirm there is no need or surgery and get more time off is needed. I wonder if this is really necessary or if he is just pushing for more as they usually do in Singapore.

I'll think about it while resting my foot :)

No comments: