Sunday, July 15, 2012

MOMU

It took Aude to come to Belgium for me to learn that there is a fashion museum in Antwerpen. Today the two of us drove to the MOde MUseum to discover the exhibition of "Living Fashion" displaying clothes from women 1750s to 1960s, or so.
Here is a selection of some of the outfits we saw.
Evening dresses:
 Maternity dresses and corset. I still cannot figure out the point of having a pregnant woman wear a corset, but apparently that was the case back then.
 Objects of torture to ensure one would look thin (read VERY narrow waist) and with a big skirt. Scaringly some of those remind me of what I will wear on my wedding day. Seems not much progress has been made since then.
 Sports outfits were not really designed for exercising back then. Apparently the invention of bicycles helped moving fashion away from big skirts as obviously they don't work with cycling.
A hat that was described as "with pheasant feathers". The fact that the head of the bird is on the hat was apparently not worth mentioning.
And a winter coat I would love to wear.

No comments: