Sunday, July 22, 2012

Another screw up of the travel agent

Last night I decided to check in to save time this morning. I was a bit puzzled when I saw the proposed seat number on row 31. That didn't sound like business and it was not because it's economy.
At midnight I called the emergency line of the travel agency and asked. I was indeed booked in economy despite all the messages I received from them telling me I'm booked in business. Seems there was some miscommunication somewhere. But at that time, 8 hours from the flight, who cares about miscommunication?
The scary part is that the emergency service being based in the UK can't access the company preferred fares as I'm based in Belgium i.e. abroad for them.
I nearly lost it and spent 40min on the phone with an agent to try to find out a solution. Which he did by canceling my booking and making a new one, but at the market price not the negotiated price. With the idea that I would complain to their Belgian office and get the money back, when they are back on Monday morning.
Unbelievable but at 1am, what else could I do?

This morning I left extra early because something told me it wouldn't be straightforward. And I was right.
They still had two bookings under my name, which in theory is not possible for the same flight, and I had to call back the emergency line to clarify and update the system. Another 30mim wasted and really really unnecessary stress.

I'm now sitting in the plane to Amsterdam hoping that everything will be fine now. But based on my experience with this travel agency I expect the worst. So far in maybe two out of three trips booked by them, something went wrong.
Not filling me with confidence...

No comments: